Qualifications MD, FRACP
Prince of Wales Clinical School
Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology Group
Broad Research Areas
Specific Research Keywords
Poisoning and Overdose
As part of the SACTRC collaboration I have helped developed a centre of clinical toxicology research excellence in Sri Lanka – largely funded by the NHMRC and Wellcome Trust International Collaborative Research Grant scheme. The main focus of this work is pesticide poisoning, although the collaboration began with trials on snake envenomation and oleander poisoning and continues to be active in researching these areas and in other community based public and mental health projects.
ILP Research Interests (Will supervise ILP students)
My particular interests within undergraduate teaching are problem-based learning, evidence-based clinical teaching and computer-assisted learning (CAL) with a focus on clinical pharmacology and toxicology and understanding the immediate relevance of mechanisms to clinical practice.
Society Memberships & Professional Activities
Australian Society of Clinical & Experimental Pharmacology & Toxicology
Asia Pacific Association of Medical Toxicology
Royal Australasian College of Physicians
American College of Medical Toxicology
Thesis topics for current UNSW Medicine postgraduate research students:
- A pilot study on measurement of novel urinary bio-markers of acute kidney injury caused by nephrotoxins
- Environmental exposure to pesticides and potential health effects.
- Political analysis of policy to reduce burden of suicide in Sri Lanka
Other Postgraduate Research
I have current HDR students enrolled (at UNSW and eleswhere) investigating:
- measurement and effects of exposure to pesticides in pregnancy
- changing pesticide regulation policy
- improved diagnosis and management of organophosphorus pesticide poisoning
- the effects of immunosuppressants and antioxidants in paraquat poisoning.
- Biomarkers of acute kidney injury from drugs, poisoning and envenomation
- the long term effects of organophosphorus poisoning on the central, peripheral and autonomic nervous system