Human Resources

POWCS HR Contacts & Location

School Manager
Paul Harbon            Email: | Phone: 9382 8863 | Fax: 9382 8885

HR  Consultant (UNSW Medicine)
Julie Amirian           Email: | Phone: 9385 8759

General HR and Recruitment Information

For general information on recruitment, staff salaries and super, health and safety, staff development and more please refer to the UNSW HR Homepage and Jobs@UNSW

Index of useful resources - HR - A-Z Guide
Academic and Professional & Technical Staff Enterprise Agreements
UNSW Enterprise Agreements  All staff should familiarise themselves with their EBA (Academic or Professional and Technical), as they contain employee rights on frequently visited issues such as salaries and leave.
Click on these links to access useful UNSW Forms General HR Forms and Orientation HR Forms.
Recruitment & Advertising
For information on recruiting academic or research staff please use the Recruitment Toolkit or speak to your POWCS HR contacts, Anthea Ellison.
For information on advertising, please use the UNSW procedural guidelines.

Appointing Staff on grant funding

  • All funding recipients must be employees of UNSW for the duration of the funding.  Research fellows must be placed on a UNSW contract of employment for the funding period.
  • Termination of employment - In most cases grant funding cannot be used for severance payments
  • For more information to to the Grants Management Office website page on Managing your grant.

Working with Children Check
Read more about the recent changes to the Working with Children Check .

Back to top

Other useful links:     

Back to top

Staff ID Cards

Refer to the information on the Facilities Management Website

UNSW Staff Online Directory

New staff can create an entry in the UNSW staff online directory.

UNSW Code of Conduct

Click to view the UNSW Code of Conduct which applies to all UNSW and POWCS staff.


Is a staff portal that enables you to book leave, view pay advices, book training and much more.  Read about myUNSW 


All leave requests must first be discussed with your supervisor and then entered through MyUNSW.  For leave entitlements refer to the UNSW Employee Enterprise Agreement

For Academic staff the Leave Year  runs from 16 February to 15 February the following year, and staff are expected to take their full 20 days’ annual leave (pro rata for part timers) by the end of the Leave Year.

All staff undertaking any travel on University business, including academics on conference leave, must complete a TR1 form prior to travel and get it signed by the Head of School - send to POWCS HR Assistant

Back to top


For information and general advice about yoru UniSuper membership visit UniSuper on Campus. 

From Tuesday 4th March UniSuper will be on your campus every Tuesday and Wednesday.  You can also get information about their services such as:

  • MemberOnline
  • our website and its range of tools and calculators
  • our Helpline
  • UniSuper Advice for personal advice that’s tailored to you, from our qualified financial advisers.

You will need to make a booking.  Call Lachlan McLean on 0427 045 424 or email

Location:  Room 304, Level 3, Chancellery Building (C22), Kensington Campus.

Back to top

Training - Organisation and Staff Development

For further information on Staff Development, refer to the Organisation and Staff Development Services (OSDS) which is accessible through the Staff Development @ UNSW box on the right hand side of the myUNSW homepage.  Register for training via MyUNSW.   All training must be approved by POWCS School Manager via myUNSW

Teaching staff please refer to the Faculty of Medicine Professional Development and Training web page.

Back to top

Research Staff

Refer to our Research Support web page and view the Faculty of Medicine Research web page for a list of key contacts and useful links.

Information on resources and infrastructure for research staff can be found at this includes links to

  • Ethics on-line training
  • Health and Safety
  • InfoEd Grants Management System - used by UNSW to record and track research grants. InfoEd gives you access to all data recorded about an application or grant
Back to top

Exit protocol for staff leaving

EXIT ChecklistHR 37

This checklist must be completed and sent to POWCS HR Assistant

Information Technology 

When staff are planning to leave, supervisors must organise for their IT to be saved or shutdown. Please allow at least 1 week lead time. The departing staff member should review their home drive and shared folders’ for personal content and remove the items from all work folders. In conjunction with their supervisor, the employee must ensure that all relevant documents and content are in the appropriate group shared folders.

Research Grants and Fellowships

If the person is linked to (named on) a research grant, the granting body must be notified and an explanation of how the research will continue as per the original proposal given.

Career Development Fellowships will be relinquished and a letter must be sent to the granting body requesting this.

Log in to RGMS and complete a variation request.   Go to Grantee Variation and select variation type Relinquish Grant.  Once completed, press Certify & Submit and the request will be sent through to the GMO for certification before being sent off to NHMRC.

Cancer Council NSW grants
If the Chief Investigator A is resigning this would involve drafting a letter to advise them of the circumstances and requesting that the CI(A) and CI(B) positions are reversed.  The letter should be co-signed by the CI(B) in each case to say that they agree to this switch.  This should then be authorised by the Head of School, then passed to the Cancer Council and Grants Management Office.

For more information go to NHMRC – Transfer and relinquish funding
or contact the Grants Management Office

Back to top