How to apply
If you are interested in applying to the Prince of Wales Clinical School (POWCS) Postgraduate Research Program here is how the process works:
1. Choose a research program supported by POWCS on the Faculty of Medicine website
Note your program name and code (eg PhD Medicine, 1770), which you’ll need to fill out the rest of the documentation.
Also, determine if you can provide proof that you satisfy the requirements listed for your program. You can also view general requirements at the Graduate Research School (GRS) website and the Faculty of Medicine website.
2. Find a research area and appropriate primary and secondary supervisors affiliated with POWCS (refer to POWCS Potential PG Supervisor List 2017)
- See the Research Interests on the Faculty website
- Visit researcher profiles and projects on the Research Gateway
- The Graduate Research School website also has some helpful tips
Finally, visit the research section of POWCS website
3. Discuss and review with your prospective supervisors the requirements for supervision, particularly that your primary supervisor doesn’t already have a full student quota under their supervision (the limit is 6 students for a primary supervisor)
- From Graduate Research School: Higher Degree Research Supervision Policy
From Faculty of Medicine: Higher Degree Research Supervision Policy
4. Familiarise yourself with the candidature requirements responsibilities
- Review the Graduate Research School Postgraduate Research Student Handbook
Review POWCS Postgraduate Requirements
5. Apply online
- Review the Graduate Research School’s admissions process
- Lodge your online application via MyUNSW
- When directed, provide ‘certified’ copies of your support documents to the Graduate Research School
Deadline for Semester 1 applications to be submitted - 31 January*
Deadline for Semester 2 applications to be submitted - 31 May*
*Late applications may be accepted. To discuss, please contact GRS administators
6. Accept the offer
If all goes well, you’ll receive an offer letter or email from the Graduate Research School. It will explain how you must then accept the offer via MyUNSW and to be admitted to Prince of Wales Clinical School.
Once the Graduate Research School has processed your acceptance of offer, it will issue the school with your enrolment form. They are processed in batches about once a week. The school will forward it to you with notes to help you complete it. Send it back to the Postgraduate Coordinators, Dr Jonathan Erlich (email@example.com) and Dr Kerrie McDonald (firstname.lastname@example.org) for approval and further processing with the Graduate Research School.
Students can check their enrolment status online via MyUNSW. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are enrolled at the start of every semester and that your enrolment is correct prior to the census date. Variations to enrolment after the semester census date is not permitted. To check your enrolment details, log on to your student profile on MyUNSW. Don't stop at the 'Term Selection' page - it is misleading! Be sure to click the 'enrolment history' button beside the appropriate semester to go through to the 'Course Selection' page. Only from here can you confirm the details for your 'enrolled courses' for that term, or otherwise it'll say "No enrolled courses found for this term" and you'll need to follow up your enrolment with the school.
Congratulations, once you are enrolled, you may start working on your thesis project. You can also collect your ID card from FM Assist, arrange for building access, Library access and on-campus parking.
If you have any difficulties or have any questions, please contact the Postgraduate Coordinators, Dr Jonathan Erlich (email@example.com) and Dr Kerrie McDonald (firstname.lastname@example.org). Alternatively, the Administrative Assistant for Postgraduate Students, may be able to assist with your enquiry (9385 8880, email@example.com)