Transfers between Masters & PhD

UNSW allows Masters by Research candidates to transfer to PhD if they meet the PhD entry requirements (Honours Class 2 Division 1 equivalence) at the time of request for transfer. Following appropriate review within the School, requests from candidates to transfer enrolment from Masters by Research to PhD require documentation indicating:
  • Table of contents and chapter plan for both the Master and the PhD. An approximate word count for the chapters must be included.
  • A timeline for completion of the PhD.
  • A statement as to how the project meets the expectations of a PhD as an ‘original contribution to knowledge’, in a way that is not expected of a Masters (up to one page).
  • If you do not have an Honours degree at Division 2A level or better, a statement as to what qualifications or experience the candidate has which are equivalent to such a degree, including what you have done during enrolment in the Masters to achieve such equivalence if it cannot be demonstrated at the time of initial enrolment.
  • A mark of 'Satisfactory' in the Annual Progress Review, including satisfactory progress on the Literature Review.
  • A copy of the Annual Progress Review in which the Panel recommends that the candidate has satisfied all the requirements for confirmation of a PhD candidate and that the candidate may transfer to a PhD.
  • Acceptance of a first author refereed conference abstract or journal publication containing original research findings.
  • A letter of recommendation from the supervisor, endorsed by the School/Centre postgraduate research coordinator, addressing the candidate’s capacity to complete the project as a PhD.
  • A Letter from the Postgraduate Coordinator/Head of School recommending the transfer.
Such transfers are presented to the Higher Degree Committee by the Postgraduate Coordinator.
Transfer from PhD to Masters requires documentation indicating agreement by the candidate, supervisor and the Postgraduate Coordinator. Such transfers are referred to the Higher Degree Committee.
You can download a Transfer from Masters to PhD Fact Sheet from the GRS policies and procedures website.